Phases & Names of the Moon
Our moon has played an outsized role in our history, folklore, and myth. As such, it stands to reason that it is also widely present in our own created worlds. From lunar colonies of the sci fi genre, to werewolves in fantasy/horror, the moon can be used to great effect.
Phases of the Moon
Names of the Moon
Full moons are particularly important, generally occurring three times each season.
- Black Moon: an extra new moon occurring in a season. Occurs once every 2-3 years.
- Blue Moon: an extra full moon that occurs in a season. Occurs once every 2-3 years.
- Super Moon: a full moon that occurs during the Moon’s closest approach to Earth, making it appear larger and brighter than normal.
The full moon that occurs within a given month has also traditionally been given a name. While the Harvest Moon (being the first full moon after the equinox) and the Blood Moon (the next full moon after the Harvest Moon), are the most well known, each month is associated with a specific full moon name or names.
- January: Wolf Moon, Old Moon, Moon After Yule, Winter Moon
- February: Snow Moon, Hunger Moon, Storm Moon
- March: Worm Moon, Crow Moon, Sap Moon, Crust Moon, Lenten Moon, Wind Moon
- April: Seed Moon, Pink Moon, Sprouting Grass Moon, Pascal Moon, Fish Moon, Frog Moon, Spring Moon, Awakening Moon, Sap Moon
- May: Milk Moon, Flower Moon, Corn Planting Moon, Grass Moon, Mother’s Moon
- June: Mead Moon, Strawberry Moon, Rose Moon, Hot Moon, Thunder Moon
- July: Hay Moon, Buck Moon, Elk Moon, Summer Moon, Thunder Moon
- August: Corn Moon, Sturgeon Moon, Red Moon, Barley Moon, Green Corn Moon, Grain Moon, Herb Moon, Wyrt Moon, Dog Moon
- September: Harvest Moon, Corn Moon, Fruit Moon, Barley Moon
- October: Hunter’s Moon, Blood Moon, Autumn Moon, Fall Moon, Sanguine Moon, Pumpkin Moon, Dying Moon
- November: Beaver Moon, Turkey Moon, Frosty Moon, Dark Moon
- December: Oak Moon, Cold Moon, Long Night’s Moon
If you world has multiple moons, what are their names and how often are they full?
In your world do specific events only happen on nights with a specific moon?